When asking people what I should bring to an office potluck, the only request I had was from a friend who wanted something with pumpkin in it. I am not a fan of the texture of pumpkin pie, so I had to think about what else I could do. There has to be more to pumpkin than jack-o-lanterns, seeds, pie and seasonal beer…
That being said, I made up a muffin recipe on the fly, based on my apple cake recipe.
- 6 parts white rice flour
- 2 parts potato starch
- 1 part tapioca flour
- 1 can of pumpkin puree (15oz pure pumpkin, no spice)
- 2 teaspoons
- 1/8 cup dark molasses (the darker the better)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 cups
- 1 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cups dark brown sugar (separated)
- 1 cup cinnamon applesauce (no sugar added)
- 1/4 cup of butter (1/2 a stick)
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 tsp xanthan gun
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Use cupcake tin with paper inserts (makes ~30 cupcakes)
In a bowl, mix together the pumpkin, 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, vanilla, molasses,, allspice, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves.
In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt
Beat the remaining sugar, applesauce, butter, and eggs in a large bowl. Add in the pumpkin mixture. Add in the dry ingredients and beat until completely combined.
Pour the batter into the cups (1/2 to 2/3 full) and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a cake comes out clean. Makes approximately 30 cupcakes.
Ice with cinnamon buttercream frosting.