- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk (I use soured milk when I have it)
- 5 1/2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spray or lightly grease a 9 inch cast iron skillet
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder. Stir in egg, milk and butter until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
The flavor is dead on what I was aiming for, sweet and ever-so-slightly salty, but it’s a bit too crumbly to serve to company…I’ll likely add a bit more milk next time and put a bowl of water in the oven while it bakes. I’ll also consider vanilla, but that kind of feels like cheating on the flavor.